Taking time out of a busy week to book a session at Zen Massage is one of the best things you can do in terms of self-care. The benefits of regular massage include relief from anxiety, headaches, insomnia, stress, sports injury, joint pain, or soft tissue strain. A session with one of our therapists is a great way to unplug from a busy week and we encourage you to set aside some time to unwind.
In addition to massage, another great way to fight stress, anxiety, and fatigue is to ensure you are getting a proper amount of rest. With deadlines stacking up, digital overload, bills to pay, and children to care for, getting enough rest can often fall low on the priority list. In reality, getting a sufficient amount of sleep is your best offense in terms of tackling your to-do list. Here are a few helpful hints to ensure you are getting the rest you need.
- The blue light emitted from electronics can disrupt your sleep cycle. Though it’s tempting to scroll through your phone or catch a show before bed, turn all electronics off an hour before you zone out to improve the quality of your sleep.
- Consistency is key, so try to get yourself to bed at the same time each evening.
- Reserve your bedroom for sleeping, resist the urge to work, eat, or surf the web while in bed. By reserving the space in your bedroom for sleep and relaxation, you can create better sleep habits and fall asleep faster.
- Avoid caffeine after 5 p.m. This may require checking labels, as some pain relievers, teas, and weight loss supplements contain caffeine.
- Try exercising earlier in the day as the endorphins produced after a vigorous workout can keep you alert and awake for a few hours.
- Schedule dinnertime earlier in the evening as eating a hearty meal late at night can mean your digestive system is still active as you attempt to catch some rest.
- Try using dimmer light in your bedroom; lower light levels signal your brain to begin making the hormone melatonin, which helps the body drift off.